I spent last weekend on the island of Grenada which is the mainland. I had a lovely time and thought of 5 things for which to be thankful.
1. Grenada. I hadn’t stayed on the eastern side before, and it was lovely. It is rainy season, so everything is green; but the flowers and landscaping were especially beautiful. Our island of Carriacou is looking lovely now after the rain, but it was nice to enjoy the lush beauty of the mainland.
2. Christian fellowship. I spent the first couple of days with friends of a friend and was recipient of gracious hospitality. I met a Grenadian pastor who I had heard about for years but hadn’t met. It was a blessing to hear what the Lord was doing in the church. The last day was spent with dear friends, my Grenadian “parents.” As I traveled with them from the eastern side to the western side, our conversation covered witnessing, husband-wife relationships, love, education, and spiritual needs of Grenada. It was a blessing to listen to these godly people. An added charm to this visit was that my sixth daughter and her friend were with me.
3. Food. One day we went shopping and got KFC, which is a very rare treat. When we returned to the house to eat it, we were told that there was goat stew. We saved the chicken for supper and enjoyed the stew. Goat surpasses chicken any day. We were also served oildown which is the national dish. Breadfruit was part of the menu every day. We were in Grenada for a wedding, and the reception was a sit down meal with more delicious food. Sunday meals included beef, several salads, and straight-from-the-garden watermelon. We ate well!
4. Children. I could not have made this trip if it hadn’t been for my children, the ones at home. My teen-aged daughters cooked, cleaned, washed clothes, and organized the other children to do jobs. They enjoy doing this, especially the cooking part and, probably, the organizing children part. I could leave without having to spend time cooking in advance and could return to a house in reasonable order and fed and clean family. A huge blessing!
5. My husband. One of the best things I did was marry him. We have been married 27 years and came to Carriacou 23 years ago. I am very thankful that he has chosen to follow the Lord’s leading to live and serve God on this tiny island.
My encouraging word to you: Look for what the Lord has given you. Look for what He is doing in your life. He has given you many blessings too.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for His lovingkindness,
And for His wonders to the sons of men!
Psalm 107:8, 15, 21, 31
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
And all that is within me, bless His holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
And forget none of His benefits